Tuesday, April 21, 2015

 
This class has most definitely been an eye opener for me!  I have learned so much about who I am, as well as how I want to be a contributor to the early childhood field.  Three things that I feel like are deep learning experiences is me being aware of what type of leader I want to be, learning about the importance of belonging to a community of practice, and learning about my passion for making a social within my community.  When I was imagining what my future would look like, I literally cannot wait to become the person I wrote about being!  I want more than anything to create a program that allow parents the chance to get involved with their child outside of their home, and help them build healthy relationships with their child.  By being a part of a community of practice that have the same vision as I do, I believe that this is most definitely possible.  In order to make a social change, I am going to have to learn how to lead.  So learning about the different leadership styles, and which one I resonated with the most really did help me!
 
A long term goal of mine would be to establish a scholarship for minority children that demonstrate service within their community.  I was able to pay for books with the scholarships that I received from my community, and I want to do the same for another student.  This is me stepping out of the early childhood field, but it is still me helping out families and students that are within my community.
I wanted to say thank you to our instructor for challenging me and providing me with such great feedback throughout this course.  I also want to thank my colleagues who have continued to support me through this journey.  I have learned that when trying to be an advocate for young children and when you are trying to make social change, having a strong support system is important-for that I say thank you. To you all, I wish you nothing but the best!
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla,
    Congratulations on your achievement. I wish you luck in your scholarship goal. It seems a like a great idea. Keep working hard and pushing yourself and you will do great things.
    BethAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kayla,
    I too am excited to work at becoming the leader I envision I should be. I am far from it now but it is good to have a clear goal. I am determine to work at my communication skills to improve them for instance. Good luck on your admirable goal of giving back to your community what you got when you were young. Paying it forward is a great attitude and spreads successes. Enjoy the satisfactory feeling of great achievement and always remember what you are capable of when you encounter difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla, I know you will become a great leader with your vision and goals. I admire your vision of setting up a scholarship to help others learn. All it takes is one person to make a difference in the life of a child or adult. Thank you for being an advocate for all young children and good luck with your dreams. We all have come along way with our education; lets keep going.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete